Creative Drama as a Tool for Prevention of Peer Bullying
Drama technics provides a humanistic and anti-discriminative learning atmosphere. These tools can be used to the inclusion of the disadvantaged and excluded groups and being open to the differences, different backgrounds, different cultures. By using drama tools we can also improve the sense of empathy, breaking the barriers and stereotypes, improving the dialogue and team spirit.
Creative drama can also be an effective tool for raising awareness about peer bullying, especially in school-age children. Among children who are bullied and exposed to bullying, drama is a good choice to repair broken ties and to provide a more peaceful environment. A child who plays and has fun in the process of drama avoids harming others and is happy to respect other people.
Creative drama is an improvisational, non-exhibitional, process-oriented form of drama, where participants are guided by a leader to imagine, enact, and reflect on experiences real and imagined. The creative drama takes children’s natural world, creative play, and develops it further, using theatre techniques, to create learning experiences which are for the participants. Drama specialist, Brian Way states in Development Through Drama, “Theatre is largely concerned with communication between actors and an audience; Drama is largely concerned with experience by the participants.”
Creative drama is a very effective tool to include a disadvantaged groups because it is a discipline in which the
sense of respect and empathy between individuals are developed and the principles of ethics, equality, and respect for
differences are exercised. Furthermore, the integration of the disadvantaged group with the other group and the development of social, physical, emotional, language skills of the disadvantaged children are the one of the basic aims of creative drama. Self-confidence development, healthy communication and trust within the group, and the development of individual self-expression skills can be easily supported by creative drama.
Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. Peer bullying; Children and adolescents in the same age group are in physical, verbal and behavioral damaging behavior against each other or against a single person. Bullying, a subspecies of aggression, is a type of aggression in which one or more learners are unable to protect themselves from the victim, resulting in deliberate and constant disturbance of students who are less powerful than themselves. Research conducted over the past 30 years reveals that bullying is a major threat to the healthy development of children and that they reach serious dimensions in schools. The psychological and sociological effects of bullying on children are not only limited to school years but also continue in the later stages of life, and the risk of adulthood is high. Bullying affects both bullies and victims. Types of bullying are handled in five categories. These; Physical bullying, verbal bullying, exclusion-loneliness, rumor spreading and harming the individual’s goods and property. Surveys show that schools that are reported to be more violent by students are much lower than those in better schools. Failure to take such training causes adults to view certain behaviors as bullying and often to apply traditional disciplinary punishments to bullying. And it all serves to make bullfight spread.
- Drama technics provides a humanistic and anti-discriminative learning atmosphere. These tools can be used to the inclusion of the disadvantaged and excluded groups and being open to the differences, different backgrounds, different cultures. By using drama tools we can also improve the sense of empathy, breaking the barriers and stereotypes, improving the dialogue and team spirit. Creative drama can also be an effective tool for raising awareness about peer bullying, especially in school-age children. Among children who are bullied and exposed to bullying, drama is a good choice to repair broken ties and to provide a more peaceful environment. A child who plays and has fun in the process of drama avoids harming others and is happy to respect other people.
- Teachers have experience with the use of creative drama method in educational processes,
- Learning creative drama techniques and games,
- Knowing the use of creative drama
- The use of creative drama as an effective tool to prevent peer bullying
- The ability to build games, dramatic stories, and creative drama workshops according to what teachers want to achieve,
- To know the risky drama actions with kids
- The use of drama as a tool for social inclusion
- Know methods to prevent peer bullying
- Know the reasons and results of the bullying
Yes, we organize local transportation, hotel, food, cultural visit, and social activities. Please contact us about the details and the offers. We prefer to offer organization fee and the options when your project is granted by Erasmus Plus due to the fact that the cost is changing from date to date and the locations.
- Yes, we do. Utopia has working fields like art, play, pedagogy, and other alternative methods. If your idea fits our vision and our resources we can propose you a tailor-made programme according to your needs. We create groups with a minimum of 6 participants. If you have 6 participants or more we can organize a course for you on the dates and location you prefer.
- Antalya and İstanbul, TURKEY
- Barcelona, SPAIN
- London, UK
- Lund, Sweden
A need and profile analysis will be sent to participants to determine the needs and profile of participants before the course. This form of participant profile is very important for us to see the level of knowledge and awareness about the topic, the needs of participants and expectations According to the information obtained from this form, our program is designed. Before our participants come to the country where the course will be implemented, they must make the necessary preparations for the topic. We will send to participants an information pack which has the necessary information to not to face problems during the course and other times. This package includes all logistical information (weather, currency, airport transfer, course location details, contact information, etc.) and preparations for participants for the course. In the course organization team, we have a guide for the groups for practical arrangements and the problems.