DRAMA FOR SPECIAL NEEDS
Creative Drama for Special Needs
Students with special needs are especially affected by the lack of social-emotional skills. One of the issues is that many disorders, namely autism, affects the portion of the brain that helps children learn and understand social cues. It may be extremely difficult for many students with special needs to learn and behave in a socially productive manner. Another issue for children who physically appear different, act different, or are placed in special classrooms within even an inclusive school is often isolated from typical education peers.
Creative drama is an improvisational, non-exhibitional, process-oriented form of drama, where participants are guided by a leader to imagine, enact, and reflect on experiences real and imagined. The creative drama takes children’s natural world, creative play, and develops it further, using theatre techniques, to create learning experiences which are for the participants. Drama specialist, Brian Way states in Development Through Drama, “Theatre is largely concerned with communication between actors and an audience; Drama is largely concerned with experience by the participants.”
Creative drama is a very effective tool to include a disadvantaged groups because it is a discipline in which the
sense of respect and empathy between individuals are developed and the principles of ethics, equality, and respect for
differences are exercised. Furthermore, the integration of the disadvantaged group with the other group and the development of social, physical, emotional, language skills of the disadvantaged children are the one of the basic aims of creative drama. Self-confidence development, healthy communication and trust within the group, and the development of individual self-expression skills can be easily supported by creative drama.
Students with special needs are especially affected by the lack of social-emotional skills. One of the issues is that many disorders, namely autism, affects the portion of the brain that helps children learn and understand social cues. It may be extremely difficult for many students with special needs to learn and behave in a socially productive manner. Another issue for children who physically appear different, act different, or are placed in special classrooms within even an inclusive school is often isolated from typical education peers. One technique to help students develop social skills in a fun, stimulating environment is through drama and acting. There are many programs put together by parents, dramatists, and special education professionals to encourage this to help students. Teachers and parents can look for available programs in the community and get their children involved. Teachers can also incorporate drama into their lesson plans or as transitional activities to help foster social skills.
- Using drama tools in class as a teaching method
- Using drama tools as social inclusion tools
- Using Drama for Special Needs and Learning Differences
- Evaluation technics through drama activities
- Effective Communication through drama activities
- Intercultural experience
Yes, we organize local transportation, hotel, food, cultural visit, and social activities. Please contact us about the details and the offers. We prefer to offer organization fee and the options when your project is granted by Erasmus Plus due to the fact that the cost is changing from date to date and the locations.
Yes, we do. Utopia has working fields like art, play, pedagogy, and other alternative methods. If your idea fits our vision and our resources we can propose you a tailor-made programme according to your needs. We create groups with a minimum of 6 participants. If you have 6 participants or more we can organize a course for you on the dates and location you prefer.
- Berlin GERMANY
- Antalya and İstanbul TURKEY
- Barcelona SPAIN
A need and profile analysis will be sent to participants to determine the needs and profile of participants before the course. This form of participant profile is very important for us to see the level of knowledge and awareness about the topic, the needs of participants and expectations According to the information obtained from this form, our program is designed. Before our participants come to the country where the course will be implemented, they must make the necessary preparations for the topic. We will send to participants an information pack which has the necessary information to not to face problems during the course and other times. This package includes all logistical information (weather, currency, airport transfer, course location details, contact information, etc.) and preparations for participants for the course. In the course organization team, we have a guide for the groups for practical arrangements and the problems.
Our course is mostly conducted by non-formal education methods. Participants are actively involved in our creative drama activities, and participate in the activity in abundance and learn by having fun. We don’t like power point presentation based courses. We have materials, our body as the most important instruments and creativity. Group and individual works and experiential learning based studies are carried out.
At the end of the course, general oral and written evaluations are made and achievements of the participants are assessed. Cultural excursions and closing events are organized after the course closed with a certificate of attendance. We will share our photos, videos, reports, and materials which are produced during the course with the participants. The course will be monitoring by trainers and reports will be prepared by trainers to inform participants about the quality of the course, outcomes, evaluation results, feedbacks and etc.
- 5 days training course: €350 (including Tax)
- 7 days training course: €490 (including Tax)
- 9 days training course: €630 (including Tax)
- * Daily €70 fee includes preparation of participants, Implementation of training course, coffee break, certificates, training materials, video clip and the photos of training course, after course support and materials. Hotel, food, transportation, cultural visit, and extra activities will be not included training course fee. For the accommodation please contact with course organization team.
Participants transfer %30 of the whole amount before maximum 1 months of the course date. Remaining part will be paid in cash on the last day of the training course. For the reservation during the project application, any payment will be not asked. If the project is granted, participants contact with Utopia and ask for confirmation of course participation.
- Certificate of Attendance: Issued by Utopia Education and Art Organization
- Europass Certificate: Prepared by participants and validated by Utopia Education and Art Organization
- *No fee will be asked for certification.
Participants will receive the materials listed below.
- Video clip and the photos of the training course
- Activity reports
- Evaluation Results and report
- After course support ( A Digital File includes drama resources, music for drama activities and more.)
Daily Activities: 09:00- 17:00 (6-hour training course)
- Welcome Activity – Pre-test
- Knowing Each other through Drama Games
- Trust Each other through Drama Games
- Team Building through Drama Games
- Introduction to Creative Drama
- Effective Communication through Drama
- Drama as a Social Inclusion Tool (Refugee Integration, Child Abuse, Child Labor, Special Needs etc.)
- Drama Games for special needs
- Special Needed Children’s characteristics
- Basic Needs of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Autism, Down Syndrome, Dyslexia, Anxiety, Social and Emotional Problems
- Drama technics for development of emotional, social, cognitive and psychomotor skills
- Learning Differences – Learning Styles
- Tips for Special Education teachers in Drama Activities
- Group Works
- Evaluation through drama technics – Protest
- Certificate Ceremony and Closure
- Cultural Activities- City Visit
* The programme will be designed according to the profile and needs of the groups.
To apply the course please click Application Form button, to get the dates of courses click Course Dates button.
To get more information contact us: email@example.com